E3Map for Darkest Hour

Moderator: mumia

Re: E3Map for Darkest Hour

Postby mumia » Mon 14. Jan 2013, 20:54

Al-Jawf/Sakaka:
I checked my maps and I've found few name candidates, but I can't find any info about them:
1. Djal (Derra, 1848 map)
2. Daumat el-Djandal (1848 map)
3. Jerawi (1883 map)
4. Shaghar (1929 map)

I wouldn't rename Al-Jawf to 'Huj' as it could be rather wrongly interpreted by Poles. :lol: Just better not included such name.

Somalia:
It's mostly based on Somali administrative divisions and on borders of various Somali revolters like Puntland or Somaliland, but I can still redraw it to included all needed borders from 1915.
mumia

by Advertising » Mon 14. Jan 2013, 20:54

Advertising

Re: E3Map for Darkest Hour

Postby Arturius » Tue 15. Jan 2013, 03:23

IMHO all your suggestions didn't fit:

1. Djal (Derra, 1848 map)
2. Daumat el-Djandal (1848 map)

Daumat el-Djandal = El Jauf el Amir (1922) = Djof al-amr (1929) = Jof (1883, Sakakah is named here 'Meshkakeh')

On wiki there is mentioned an ancient city with that name. But the modern city that seems to exist according google maps is not mentioned. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumat_Al-Jandal

Daumat el-Djandal is just 37 km away from Sakakah, so Djal must be even nearer to Sakakah. But I have no idea where this Djal should be existed. It is placed on position where Daumat el-Djandal is placed on the other maps.

Kara (1848, 1883, 1922) resp. Qara (1929) is today part of Sakakah ('Gara')

3. Jerawi (1883 map)

It is highly likely that this place is a well only. Here's an diary or story about pilgrims (I know, not the best source). When they reached Wadi Sirhan - the region where the mentioned place lie - they reached a well on their way: El-Jerawi (p. 102 and p. 106).

http://gwdspace.wrlc.org:8180/xmlui/bit ... sequence=2

4. Shaghar (1929 map)

That is just an assumption: Shagar lies between Sakakah and Wasit according to map 1929. On map 1848 between both places lies place Subeiha and on map 1883 Jerawi and on the map I sent Shaibak.

The mentioned book above there is written that they reached the 'wells of Sheybeh' (p. 102) and there is noted that El-Jerawi is the fourth well of Sheybeh (p. 102). So Jerawi = Sheybeh. Not only from the placement but also in naming 'Subeiha', 'Sheybeh, 'Shaibak' seem to be derivates of the same placement. Shagar seems to be another variant not according to naming but according to placement on map.

As I looked to the fourth pic you've uploaded we could also try this: rename 'Al-Jawf' to 'Sakakah', so that for present province Sakakah we have to find a settlement northern of Sakakah for name replacement.

mumia wrote:It's mostly based on Somali administrative divisions and on borders of various Somali revolters like Puntland or Somaliland, but I can still redraw it to included all needed borders from 1915.

That would be fine!
Arturius
Administrator

Previous

Return to E3 Map Project